I am a trained computer scientist, having received my Diplom Informatik (equivalent to Master of Science in Computer Science) from TU Dresden in Feb 2022.
As most of online activities commonly happen under this pseudonym schmittlauch anyways, I decided to set up this overview without publicly revealing all my private information. If this profile looks interesting to you or your company, I kindly ask you to contact me for further information and discussions.
I am open for jobs that…
- …are remote or in the Dresden area:
Being currently located in Dresden (Germany) I do not want to move right at the start of the job. So far I am not entirely sure which field I’d like to work in exactly and want to ensure a good fit between job, company, and me before condidering longer-term relactions. This might change over time.
- …involve at least some work on and with Free and Open Source Software:
I am passionate about Free and Open Source software and would like to work not only with, but also on such open projects regularly on the job. This is a soft and flexible requirement, I do not expect all products to be Free Software. I do hope though to be able to contribute back to existing projects and communities, or be involved in new Open Source projects.
- …do not involve work on so-called cryptocurrencies or Blockchain technology.
Excerpt from my CV
Areas of Expertise
|IT security||network resilience and security, applied cryptography, pentesting basics|
|P2P networks||Distributed Hash Tables (emphasis: attacks and their mitigations), Friend-to-Friend overlay networks|
|privacy||privacy-enhancing technology, data protection, anonymity|
|other||dependable systems, computer networking and common application level protocols, federated systems|
|psychology||human cognition & perception, social psychology, human-machine-interaction|
|GNU/Linux desktop & server administration||NixOS, openSUSE, Gentoo, Debian, Archlinux; SailfishOS|
|language skills||German (native), English (business fluent), Spanish (basic working knowledge), Finnish (very basic conversational knowledge)|
Systems Engineer at Flying Circus Internet Operations GmbH
📍 Remote 🗓 since 04/2022
Tutor for Course “Operating Systems and Security” at Chair of Operating Systems, TU Dresden
📍 Dresden, Germany 🗓 10/2018 – 02/2019
- holding tutorials to revise, extend, and clarify the lecture content
Trainee: Security software research at Jolla Oy
📍 Tampere, Finland 🗓 01/2018 – 03/2018
- research, analysis & prototyping of Mandatory Access Control for a mobile Linux distribution
- Linux security mechanisms, RPM packaging
Diplominformatiker at Dresden University of Technology
📍 Dresden, Germany 🗓 10/2014 – 02/2022
- equivalent to Master of Science in Computer Science
- specialisation: system architecture, security, P2P networks
- Minor: psychology
- final grade: 1.4
- Diplom thesis: Balanced and attack-resistant store and retrieval of content in friend-to-friend overlay networks
- analysis of censorship attack impact on a Friend-to-Friend based Distributed Hash Table P2P storage system
- implementation of the R/Kademlia DHT on the VOUTE Friend-to-Friend overlay network in a simulator; simulation experiments
Erasmus+ studies abroad at Tampere University of Technology
📍 Tampere, Finland 🗓 08/2017 – 12/2017
- studies of computer science and communication technologies
Free and Open Source Work
- NixOS package maintainer since 2018
- Hash2Pub: a Haskell-based implementation of the EpiChord DHT as a distributed post relay, WIP
- additional contributions can be found on my GitHub and Gitea profiles
- Talk: Decentralised Hashtag Search and Subscription in Federated Social Networks, ActivityPub Conference 2019, Prague, Czech Republic.
- lead organizer of lecture series “Free Software and Free Knowledge as a Profession” for FSFW Dresden